What are ELDs and How do they Work?
ELD stands for Electronic Logging Device. The ELD trucking system is a device or something that you integrate with the GPS of your truck, and it allows automatic tracking of the vehicles or company assets. This ELD trucking system is put straightforwardly but, if we have to be completely honest, there really isn’t anything that complicated about these devices.
Now, as technology progresses, fmcsa-approved ELD becomes something critical. These electronic logs for truckers have become a safe standard for all the fleet companies because it allows precise tracking of the HOS, and also due to eld mandate log book regulation.
The Hours of Service are a crucial part of the workload of the truck driver. And drivers and fleet managers should be aware of the fact that this is not something that you should be underestimating.
A wide range of accidents tends to happen due to fatigue and excessive tiredness. Failing to understand the benefits of ELD and why the eld mandate 2019 has been put into place is dangerous.
With this said, fleet operators, need to make sure that everything is handled as per the highest industry standards of using the ELD trucking system.
Is there a better alternative to ELD Trucking?
No – there isn’t. New, comprehensive, and high-tech companies develop excellent ELDs to make sure that you get all the information you need.
With this in mind, the ELD trucking system is beneficial for the drivers, as well. They save time, money, and effort. For once, most of the eld trucking system has integrated alert systems. These send alerts when drivers come close to the regulated and legally allowed hours of service.
For instance, if you can only drive 4 hours in the next 24, the ELD is going to start sending out signals for that. It is quite interesting.
With this in mind, it is also important to note that the ELD trucking system is going to spare the drivers a lot of time logging their hours as well as the miles they did. Remember how you kept track of the miles you did today on a clipboard – well, you wouldn’t have to go through this ever again.
Is Eld Trucking Technology reliable?
The ELD trucking system is one of the most reliable technologies which have significantly improved the entire industry. Therefore, Fleet management could be carried out in a breeze thanks to the eld trucking system.
And also, the fleet manager is capable of keeping a close eye on every single aspect of the entire process. The ELD trucking system is absolutely critical. For instance, you can take a look at the idle time of each driver and determine whether or not someone is doing more than he should. It also helps in saving a lot of money and also prevents a lot of unnecessary expenses.
Another thing that you should consider is that these are usually connected to your vehicle engine, and they integrate easily with a lot of existing hardware. While there is ELD trucking system that comes with their hardware (usually a tablet of some form) there are a lot, which is just the software, and you can use them with Android or iOS devices – saving you a lot of expenses.
Eld Trucking Offers Flexibility Beyond Comprehension
This is probably the best thing about this ELD trucking system. They are incredibly versatile and flexible, and they provide a tremendous amount of variety.
You can use them for a range of different purposes. From an administrative standpoint, you can take advantage of them to ensure that you are logging in with all the necessary data.
A fleet manager can rely on a comprehensive dashboard of the ELD trucking system which comes with the vast majority of devices available out there. And this is something important as it is going to save you both time and money.
On the other hand, you should also be aware that it makes things easier for the law enforcement staff during road stops as well. The next time when you have an inspection, all you have to do is pull up the data from the app.
Of course, for this to happen, the device has to be on the fmcsa list of registered ELD providers. And this is why when you shouldn’t purchase ELD of any kind. You should go ahead and take a look if it has the necessary features. And this is something quite critical.
Should you consider Eld Trucking System?
Yes, you should consider an ELD if you haven’t already. And this is part of the ELD mandate logbook regulation that you would have to take into account. Apart from that, though, these apps are absolutely indispensable for any business which involves ground transportation.
Of course, there are a few cons as well, but most of them are easily overlooked. For one thing, this is not something that’s going to go along with the driver from the get-go. There is a fmcsa ELD training learning curve, but it is relatively straightforward, and it shouldn’t take you more than a few hours to go through.
Additionally, it has an additional investment that you would have to consider. Of course, the vast majority of the ELD trucking system is actually subscription-based, and they won’t chunk out a considerable amount of your budget.
Given the fact that they bring tremendous value, the ELD trucking system isn’t something that you should be worried about. The ELD mandate logbook is the future of ground transportation for tracking and reporting.
The ELD trucking system capabilities are far superior to the traditional reporting methods, and they provide data that is a lot more invaluable and actionable. And thus complement the working process of the drivers and of the people who are standing behind the desk, managing the entire fleet. And therefore, it results in overall savings and considerable ease of work process.
Works in Real-Time
The ELD mandate hos app works hand in hand with accessible applications. And they are thus allowing drivers and fleet managers to analyze vehicle information to make corrections or adjustments in the event of a mistake.
This data is pointed directly to the included cloud technology, where at any time the driver or fleet manager will connect directly to the program via computer, tablet, or smartphone.
And, when required, this information could also be easily transferred to law enforcement staff during a roadside stop that requires hours of service information.
From AOBRDs to ELDs
Effective December 16, 2019, carriers can only use ELDs going forward and the use of automated onboard recording devices (AOBRDs) came to an end. After this date, drivers and motor carriers must use self-certified ELDs. AOBRDs, logging software and paper logs will all be phased out at this point.
Why Are AOBRDs Phasing Out?
- The ELD trucking system is much more advanced in software and also has far more reporting capabilities.
- An AOBRD can track the use of the truck engine, speed, driven miles, as well as the time and date.
- In addition to tracking the location of the vehicle, recording engine power status, and vehicle motion status, a fmcsa ELD also performs all the functions of AOBRD.
- fmcsa approved ELD can detect engine faults and mechanical problems and can often transfer service status reports automatically.
Why is ELD Better Than AOBRD?
The FMCSA has put into effect the electronic logs for truckers Mandate to provide greater accuracy of the information, enforce compliance with existing laws on hours of service, as well as making the transfer of data smooth and adequate.
Other additional benefits of ELD trucking system are:
- Manages schedules
- Reduces paperwork
- Improves Productivity
- Helps to ensure compliance
- Keeps detailed, accurate records
- An easy and effective way of keeping driver logs
- Reduces the risk of data being manipulated or lost
- Helps to reduce errors and mileage logging mistakes
- Provides the possibility of the immediate transfer of information
BEST Electronic Logging Devices
Electronic logging devices are being mandated by federal law. ELDs are no longer an option – they are required. Unless you fall within one of the statutory eld exemptions for small companies, if you qualify for an ELD short-haul exemption, you may still want to install the device.
The Federal government handed down the ELD mandate in 2019. Now what? Trucking companies must install Electronic Logging Devices in their trucks. You can check our article about the best e logs for owner operators here.
The next question is which Electronic Logging Device should one Buy? There are many ELD Devices. And making a selection from the large ELD Devices may be confusing.
Therefore, this article will review all of the ELD devices available. We will also provide our top 4 choices of electronic logging devices for sale in the market.
Our Top Choice for ELD Devices: Omnitracs IVG
First, Omnitracs IVG (Intelligent Vehicle Gateway) is the most popular and well-known player in the Electronic Logging Device Market.
The name shows that the eld mandate company has been in the market for a long time. The company had the first E-Log Devices.
Back in early 2016, the company announced the first product, which eventually became part of the telematics product line.
All of the standard capabilities of a leading ELD are currently available in the IVG version. Some of the ELD capabilities in the IVG are messaging, logs, navigation, DVIR, and engine diagnostics.
Also, many more advanced capabilities are available in the IVG model. Those advanced capabilities include dash cams, monitors pressure, and other advanced features.
Our Second Choice: Keep Truckin ELD (Now Motive)
The company is one of the top ELD providers with years of on-the-job experience with a proven track record.
- Their product provides ease of use and easy installation. And the main benefit of the Motive (formerly keeptruckin) eld is its eassy installation.
- In addition, this electronic logs for owner-operators have the most contemporary, slick, and user-friendly ELD mandate hos app.
- The application can be easily downloaded into your phone. Once downloaded, navigating the application is very easy. The next step is to pair the app with the ELD Device. The ELD Device is conveniently connected to the vehicle using the data port.
- When the ELD Device is paired with the phone application. The trucker can enjoy the most affordable and easiest ELD system currently available on the market.
- The application itself is available at both the App Store and Google Play Store. And it can be downloaded free of charge by any user.
Keep Truckin (Now Motive) as an industry leader
The user reviews are quite good.
- To make it into a fmcsa list of registered ELD providers, you would have to have the device which is designed to plug into the diagnostic port of the vehicle.
- The device does not have an upfront cost. There is no installation cost involved. Motive (formerly KeepTruckin) offers a subscription service. And this option is quite convenient.
- Also, this option is great for small businesses. The electronic logging devices’ price starts at $20/month.
- The price point attracts many truck drivers. However, the company is working hard to make sure that huge crowds subscribe to the service.
Our Third Choice: EROAD Ehubo
Now, EROAD is one of the most reliable systems out there. Further, the EROAD ELD is very accurate and durable.
- Just like the other ELDs, it is very easy to use. Similarly, this ELD device is also affordable.
- The fmcsa eRODS software was tested independently. Upon a successful test, the product got the ELD mandate compliance seal.
- The manufacture of this electronic logs for truckers comes from the reputable PIT Group Research Firm. Unlike other ELD devices, this electronic logging device is 100% ELD Mandate Compliant.
Independent tested ELD device
This full compliance sets the device apart from the rest of the devices.
While many ELD providers are self-certified; However, this doesn’t really mean that their system is up to the highest industry standards.
Currently, this fmcsa eRODS device is the only device that has actually gone through independent testing.
The device received all the necessary verification. And this is undoubtedly one of the benefits that one should consider when searching for a reliable ELD device.
Our Final choice: PeopleNet Display.4
Ever since 1994, this company has been doing comprehensive trucking telematics. PeopleNet Display.4 is popular among truck drivers.
- The ELD hardware, which is offered by the company, offers different varieties. And this includes several android device options, which are consumer-grade.
- However, their flagship model is the Display.4 proprietary tablets. It is one of the most comprehensive devices which are currently available on the market.
- When comparing this device to others, we found out that the touchscreen is far easier to use. Also, the menus are particularly simple to understand.
- Finally, the device has a low failure ratio. Hence, this ELD device made the top 4 devices.
What are PeopleNet best features?
Most importantly, PeopleNet supports the most advanced 4G LTE cellular communication. And this is something particularly important and also definitely one of the main perks of the product.
Now, there are quite a few different options in front of you. The truth is that these are just a few of the tremendously abundant devices available on the market when it comes to ELDs.
The results of the product testing are impressive. The products established themselves as the leading ELD solutions on the market.
Further, they bring a tremendous level of credibility. And this is something that you should keep in mind.
This article discussed the advantages and disadvantages of each of the ELD trucking technology.
In addition, one should read the user reviews on each page. Product reviews are essential in deciding which product to buy.
Failing to read reviews and doing proper research about Electronic logging devices would definitely make your job a lot harder.
If you are not sure which ELD trucking technology is the adequate device for your needs, you can fill out the form below; we offer a free consultation to help you choose the best ELD for your company.