Keep Truckin ELD device is among the leading device in the market with a score of 9. There are high numbers of fleets and drivers who trust KeepTruckin to be able to meet up with their compliance needs. It’s also considered as affordably priced, easy to use with a lot of features present.
KeepTruckin ELD is consider high in ratings due to its; ease of use, low cost, advanced features and user-friendliness. Not to forget it’s Electronic Logbook App which is the highest rated app in Apple iTunes and the Google Play Store.
Keep Truckin ELD is a hardware which is used to connect the diagnostic port (ECM) of a particular vehicle. KeepTruckin Electronic Logbook App issued is an editable, electronic log that replaces the paper log. When the two are used together; that is the KeepTruckin Electronic Logbook and the KeepTruckin ELD, the Keep Truckin ELD starts to record the driving time automatically in compliance FMCSA rule.
The standard 9-pin, 6-pin and the OBDII diagnostic ports are used for KeepTruckin plug in. If you are using a new Mack, Volvo truck or a model year 2013 truck, KeepTruckin offers a special cable harness. Therefore, it is important to specify your type of diagnostic port when you are ordering an ELD for your vehicle. Y cable is also provided to ensure that the cabling behind the trim panel is hidden.
A KeepTruckin ELD is able to support team driving. The only requirement is for each of the drivers to have their own KeepTruckin Electronic Logbook app account. Only one ELD is required for both the drivers.
With an assigned driving time, the specific driver will have to connect to the ELD with their KeepTruckin Electronic Logbook app account. When the driver is through with driving, he/she needs to disconnect from the ELD, this will allow the next driver to be able to establish another ELD connection using their own account.
When it comes to data that is supported by the KeepTruckin, it’s the two telematics data transfer protocols that is specified by the FMCSA. It can be for roadside inspections, email and web services.
How KeepTruckin ELD records the driving time
The KeepTruckin is able to detect when a vehicle is moving. In case the Keep Truckin ELD perceives that the vehicle is moving at more than 5MPH, then the vehicle will be considered to be in motion. When the vehicle is at 0MPH, then the vehicle is stationary. Recording of the driving time on the driver’s log is automatic if they have their mobile device connected to the ELD and have selected a vehicle in the KeepTruckin Electronic Logbook App.
Is the KeepTruckin ELD tamper-resistant?
KeepTruckin ELD is tamper resistant; it uses multiple methods to ensure that it prevents tampering. The ELD uses GPS satellite time, in order to prevent the users from manipulating their drive time; through the modifying of their mobile device’s clock. The ELD continues to record the driving time, even in times when the driver has not connected his mobile device to the ELD via the Bluetooth.
The ELD device records all unidentified driving incidence, which will then be transmitted to the KeepTruckin servers when the driver connects to the ELD.
KeepTrucking ELD Reviews: Why KeepTruckin is Top Ranked Among ELD Devices
- Usefull features
When it comes to KeepTruckin, it has very powerful features which simplify management of the fleets. The features include;
- IFTA fuel tax reporting
- Log auditing
- Vehicle diagnostics
- Driver scorecards
- GPS tracking
- Idle time tracking
- All round the clock technical support
KeepTruckin offers the best customer support service in the industry. Our staffs are professionally trained and can be reached any time through emails, social media websites or phones.
- It’s an effective way of compliance
Cost compliance is one of the major problems for the trucking companies especially those with smaller fleets. Therefore, KeepTruckin is their best option for its cost-effective way of compliance. This is despite the fact that it’s one of the top ELD systems that is on the market. It starts with a $20 per month, no additional charges; hence, very affordable to everyone.
Keep Truckin ELD with cellular
Flexibility is one of the principles of KeepTruckin design, which is able to support all kind of fleets. There is a launch of KeepTruckin with cellular. The powerful telematics device now has an integrated cellular connection.
There is a difference when it comes to cellular Up/Down connection with cell-Enabled ELD. For some ELD vendors they require a cell connection, so that the ELD is able to send information to the driver’s tablet or phone. Therefore, this is called cellular Up/Down connection. In case of a bad cellular connection, the Hours of Service data will not be logged in the driver’s device; hence, making them non-compliant with information that is outdated.
For KeepTruckin cell-enabled ELD, it uses cellular connection in order to transmit telematics information. That is directly from the ELD to web dashboard of the fleet manager. This is important as fleet admins are able to continuously collect data from each vehicle. The connection that is between the driver’s gadget and the ELD is through the USB or Bluetooth but not cellular connection.
KeepTruckin has a bulletproof connection and have no risk of being non-compliant, by using USB or Bluetooth connection. In the event that drivers are in areas with no cellular connection, the engine-connected ELDs will still relay data to the drivers’ device. ELDs that rely on cellular data cannot do this.
Importance of Keep Truckin with cellular
- IT’S PERFECT FOR MIXED FLEETS.
KeepTruckin ELD simplifies your work with drivers who are to comply with the ELD mandate. This is because; drivers can record their logs in the KeepTruckin App by connecting their devices using Bluetooth or USB. For drivers who do not need to keep their logs, all they need to do is to drive as they don’t have to connect their mobile device to ELD.
KeepTruckin ELD with cellular, constantly tracks a vehicle location plus other telematics data, sends them to the KeepTruckin Dashboard through the cellular connection that is inside the ELD. Therefore, you are able to know where your vehicles are, how they are performing irrespective of who is driving.
- Continuous collection of vehicle information
The sole reason of using KeepTruckin cellular ELD is to allow fleet admins to get; driver performance, IFTA, fuel consumption, fault codes and GPS information in real time.
Installing and assigning the Keep Truckin ELD
For an individual to use KeepTruckin ELD it must be installed and assigned. Administrators are the only ones with the means of assigning ELDs. The following is a step by step guide:
- Install the KeepTruckin ELD in the vehicle; ensure that the engine is off when locating the diagnostic port.
- Properly attach the cables to the vehicle diagnostic port. The port can be 6-pin, 9-pin or OBDI. Heavy duty vehicles use 6 or 9 pin port, light and medium duty vehicles use OBDI. By turning the collar clockwise, you ensure that 6-pin and 9-pin ports are secured.
- On the other side of the cable attach Keep Truckin ELD. To secure the cable to the ELD, screw down the thumbscrews on the 15-pin connector.
- Once you have plugged in, there will be a flashing of indicator lights before they turn solid red. The left-side of the indicator turns green after a minute; this indicates a success in GPS connection. In the event that this doesn’t happen, try to move the ELD so as to increase its exposure to the sky.
- Pick a spot at the top of the dashboard in order to mount the ELD. Ensure that the mounting spot is near a windshield, although away from electrical components or vents that can cause interference. Before mounting the ELD, clean the mounting area with alcohol swab provided. Mount the ELD on a clean area and get rid of the backing from the adhesive strip.
- If you have added vehicles, click ‘options’ then ‘edit vehicle’.
- Click “+ Assign ELD” in the vehicle profile which is under the Electronic Logging Device section
- Select the ELD you want to assign to a vehicle. Each ELD contains a unique serial number, which is printed at the bottom of the device adjacent to the barcode.
- Choose the correct ELD, you may also enter a serial number into the’ Search ELDS/N’ Field this is to narrow your search.
- Select ‘save’ in order to finish.
With the above mentioned steps, you can enable your driver for ELD mode; they can connect their mobile devices to the vehicle’s ELD.
Pricing of the Keep Truckin ELD device
First and foremost when it comes to KeepTruckin they offer a one year contract while the rest of the ELD devices tend to offer 3 or 5 years of contract. For instance Omnitracs offers a 5 years contract and Teletrac offers a 3 years contract.
As we are well aware that KeepTruckin costs $ 20 per month for one vehicle. I will list the monthly bills of some ELD devices:
Teletrac $ 52
The above listed prices clearly show that the KeepTruckin is indeed the most affordable ELD device. For it goes for only $20 monthly, if you compare Omnitracs to KeepTruckin for a year using 20 vehicles you will see that with Omnitracs you will spend 5.5 times more compared to KeepTruckin. That is $ 4800 for KeepTruckin and $26,468 for Omnitracs
Let’s look at another example; with Fleetmatics you will spend 2.6 times more if you have 20 vehicles as compared to KeepTruckin. The figures are $4800 for KeepTruckin and $ 12,240 for Fleetmatics.
Keep Truckin ELD Review
KeepTruckin is a user-friendly, slick plus a modern app that enables drivers to be able to record their logs. It can be one of the most affordable and easy to use ELD available in the market; when it’s paired with the KeepTruckin ELD device, then connected to the vehicle. You can get the app from the Google play or Apple App store. For it to be compliant ELD you need a device which plugs into the diagnostic port of your vehicle.
The device does not have upfront cost; instead you only need to pay the monthly fees of $20, which includes the hardware. The basic service plan costs $20 per month, these includes; DVIR, messaging, logs and other fleet management tools. With addition of the IFTA reporting, plus other advanced features are coming soon the fee will become $30, although not all fleets will require these.
- Log auditing is available, the logs are able to be audited automatically; therefore, getting the real time alerts in case of HOS violations.
- Has GPS which is able to track vehicles in real-time thus viewing breadcrumb location history.
- Has idle time tracking to track excessive idling leading to reduce fuel cost
- Has messaging services, this is a streamline communication between the drivers and dispatch
- Geofencing which allows creation of virtual parameters, a vehicles entry and exit can be tracked.
- IFTA Fuel Tax Reporting eliminates the administrative burden that is in collecting state miles.
- ELD plus Electronic Logbook App, which allows you to get compliant with a more affordable ELD system
- Driver Scorecards analyzes your fleet’s performance in order to identify and improve opportunities.
- Vehicle diagnostics improves the vehicle maintenance using the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) alerts.
- There is a recap view of hours that are to be gained over the coming 7 days.
Advantages of Keep Truckin Electronic logs
- Drivers are able to automatically log their HOS into the app. This allows auditing and keeping of track ensuring that the drivers are logging correctly.
- The app is very easy to use in that if you are able to fill a log book page, well then you can definitely use this app.
- It allows dispatch to view logs, make the necessary edits and sends to the driver to either accept or decline the edits.
- Their customer service support is always available 24/7 hours, plus they resolve your issues very fast
- Small devices that hooks up onto your truck, then you are to connect to the ELD device using a free app on your mobile device, this allows you to comply with ELD mandate
- Electronic logs are able to be kept on your mobile device.
- Has GPS which allows you to track the location of a driver in a vehicle.
- It’s the best user-friendly device on the market, all you need to do is to plug into the OBDII port and you are good to go.
- It makes it easy for the drivers to follow the DOT laws.
- It has advanced features which other BYODs lack plus it’s easy to install
- It is very affordable and it does not have upfront payments.
Disadvantages of KeepTruckin ELD
- You are not able to tell if the driver is on a short haul range exception.
- Logs can only be edited by the dispatch only when the day is complete. This is seen in case I want to change from on duty to off duty or the reverse; the driver will have to do it if it’s in the same day as dispatch is not able to edit logs of the same day.
- Smaller fleets have to pay for the first year upfront
When it comes to KeepTruckin app it is very pleasurable to use it; plus it’s also intuitive and simple. It has a DOT Inspection Mode that is convenient for viewing the log history to the enforcement officers. You can also email or fax logs from the app.
The app has a back office system which is equally modern plus easy to use. The back office includes: messaging, GPS location and an overview of the HOS compliance. Reports of DVIR and some basic HOS are included, although the advanced reporting is for the higher level of service plan which has an additional $10 per month.
Just like any other BYOD providers, KeepTruckin provides the basic features plus the means to being ELD compliant without having to break the bank. However, they are different from most BYOD competitors as they have been adding more telematics features, making them the same level with some expensive systems.
KeepTruckin has set itself apart by being among the first to actually have a complete compliance with ELD mandate. Most devices are still AOBRDs until their software meets the ELD standards. Major vendors are able to achieve full compliance with the ELD mandate before its due date, but it is important to note KeepTruckin is at that point already.
Therefore, having said it all, it is clear that KeepTruckin is an attractive option, most especially for fleets that are looking for low cost plus an easy installation process. The system is not only simple to use for the drivers but also for the office staff. Its list of advanced features is above most of the competitors features.